Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Work or Shoot: The Montreal Screwjob

So to my surprise today I got a reader question. It actually isn't the first time I have gotten a response to my blog, but this is the first time someone has asked a specific question. So needless to say I am a bit flatter.

Here is the email word for word:
"Hello, I read your articles on the web and I respect your opinion very much. With regard to the famous Montreal screwjob, I am convinced that it was a very, very sophisticated WORK and not real. I'm still not sure how the hell Vince & Bret pulled it off. I'm just curious what your opinion is & when will we find out the full details ? When one of them passes away ? Thanks. Alan"

Funny this is I had been contemplating writing about this (well, writing about Bret Hart) the last few days, as I had finished Bret Hart's book about 2 weeks ago. I just felt that I wouldn't be fair in my assessment, plus I felt this subject was a little played out. But I've been inspired. The book is a very good read, a little tough to get through at first, but great nonetheless.

I should first tell the story of the "Montreal Screwjob" so that those who don't know... Now know what I am talking about. Here's the abridged version... 1996 Bret Hart resigned with WWE for 20 years that would add up to I believe $20 Million over WCW $9 Million contract for a shorter period of time. By the fall of 1997, McMahon basically told Hart that he could not live up to his end of the contract and he could negotiate with WCW once again. Hart did sign with WCW sometime in November of '97 I believe, meaning his final match would be Survivor Series '97 versus Shawn Michaels for the WWE Title in Montreal. Obviously one would think Hart would drop the belt and go off to WCW. Not that easy, in his contract he had creative control in his last 30 days of the company, meaning he didn't have to lose if he didn't want to. Without going into all the details, Hart didn't want to drop the title to Michaels. And really there was nothing McMahon could do about it, except break "kayfabe" (basically to break character, storyline, and basically reveal the mystery behind the show) and screw Bret Hart out of the title. So Michaels was able to convince Hart to allow HBK to put Hart in his own Sharpshooter manuever. This allowed enough time for McMahon to come down and ring the bell and declare Michaels the Champion, and breaching his contract with Bret Hart.

Here's the video of the incident:


Afterwards, Hart went ballistic and eventually knocked out McMahon in the locker room after the show. Hart would then go onto WCW and wouldn't be used properly and eventually had to retire due to injury. Where on the flipside, this incident was the catalyst that started "WWE Attitude" and made Vince McMahon the evil boss. If you really want to learn more about this story visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

Ever since this incident people have wondered was this all an elaborate work? The one thing I think we all do know is a "work" is basically McMahon in the end allowed Hart to get more money out of WCW because of escalating Hart's value in '96. Other than that, nope... As much as I want to believe that this was a work. I don't think it is. Mainly because what was the payoff of it? Sure McMahon, and WWE came out on top after the incident. But Hart? Hart really never recovered from that one incident. I should preface this by saying that in recent years I have not really seen Hart in the same light as I did when I was younger. I've kind have felt he's come off as a bitter old man. However, after reading his book I have changed my tune a little bit. I can see why he is the way he is, he's always seemed to struggle with what pro wrestling has become. He was around when it became mainstream, and he was around again when it became edgy. So as I may disagree with his opinions, I respect him again as I did when I was a kid.

I digress... Hart never really recovered from this incident. Can you blame him? Up until that point he was protrayed as Canada's Superhero. So I can kind of see his point of why not to drop the belt. But in the end, he probably should have... For his own sake. Things probably would have turned out a lot different.

Work? Nope... As much as I want it to be, its not. But really its hard to judge. If you really start to look into it, there are so many different versions of the story of what happened on November 9, 1997. How can you really find out the truth? I think that's really what perpetuates the theory that it was an elaborate work. I must say what is even more amazing is that Vince McMahon himself has said the least about this. Honestly he's really the one who knows the truth, as he's the one who in the end made the decision to screw Hart. I think if anything, in McMahon's mind... He was working everyone and I think his hope in the end was to get Hart back for a huge match with Michaels. But again its really hard to say. Because I believe that Hart and Michaels both swayed the story to benefit their side of it. So I can't really say I fully believe either side. And I don't believe they did it to be malicious either, I think its just the way it happens. I know I sway a story just a tad from time to time to prove my point or make the story more entertaining. And it just becomes whisper down the lane, like in Michaels case... He had a ghostwriter, so I'm sure the ghostwriter embellished a little bit. There is just so much to go through to really find out the true story that we probably will never get the real one. So forever we will have this arguement whether it was a work or a shoot.

I just don't think it is until proven otherwise. If anything we just see the nature of the wrestling beast. As much as it is scripted... The people involved get swept up in the sport of it and in the end you have a real fight behind the scenes.

In case you were wondering... Who's side am I on? Sorry, Bret, I'm on McMahon's side. During that time in wrestling, you couldn't trust anyone or anything. So he had to be sure that the WWE Title was on Monday Night Raw on November 10, 1997.

So there's my long winded answer, Alan. Thanks for writing in. Of course you are all welcome to write in to give your opinions and/or questions.

Until next time...
You stay classy,
Dan "The Phan"

No comments:

Post a Comment