Monday, June 8, 2009

Ah... Memories...

So I ended last week shamelessly plugging my weekend schedule. So I actually pulled double duty on Saturday at WXW-C4 in Allentown, PA. Now when an announcer says that it means he or she is commentating and ring announcing, not working two matches like it means when you are an actual worker. Although I think I did as much running around! Haha... And then I just went and hung out at the UWF Wrestlefest show in Fairless Hills, PA. Both shows decent and fun, and really that's what it is all about, right?

But going to both those events really brought back some memories. At WXW-C4 I met up with the guy who gave me the booking, Doc Daniels. Having to run some errands before the show, I tagged along and we just talked about what we were up to of course, and then we got back to the old times in PWU. In the middle of our conversation, I get a text from another good friend, Aramis. Later that night, All Money Is Legal was booked so I got to see some more familiar faces. The next day, I tagged along with my friend RC for his Completely Damaged Taping at Wrestlefest. I didn't even know who was on the card other than Little Guido and Justin Credible. And in walks yet another familiar face, Amy Lee, with the conversation going to the "old times."

I've really avoided talking about PWU publicly since I left and its closed. But after this weekend I can't help but be a little reminiscent. Pro Wrestling Unplugged is where I got my start. All I wanted for years was to be a part of wrestling, as I got older I figured I probably wouldn't ever be in the ring (subconsciously that is). The older I got, I had dreams of running a pro wrestling event at my high school and then college... And it happened! 2 months later, I was a commentator for PWU.

Just as fast as it all happened it was all gone. Almost exactly two years later, PWU died. Sure it went on a little longer, but it died for me and most others in the locker room. It was weird, we all were really unsure what lied ahead for all of us.

After this weekend, I couldn't help but realize how great we had it. I was and am very lucky to have been apart of something like PWU. Now, I'm not comparing it to ECW. I'd be kidding myself if I said we were revolutionary like ECW. What I can say is we were a family like ECW. I didn't realize it at the time, but we were all so close. I was down at the [ECW] Arena 2-3 times a week seeing the same people and having a great time. And seeing those old faces, I realize how we didn't need Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc., etc., etc.... To stay in touch. We would see each other a day or two later in South Philly.

Granted a lot of negativity always seemed to swirl around PWU. But most of us seemed to ignore it and keep marching on. And like it or not... PWU had some 5 star shows. Were all of them 5 star? No... But just like anyone else, we had our ups and downs.

What made the family at PWU so great was that it was a mix of local stars, big names, legends, and homegrown talent. The homegrown talent is what was going to take PWU into the future. And in a way it did, it brought some talent to the forefront... Most notably, Devon Moore and The Best Around. We all tried to put at the best product at every show.

And we were all loyal! Maybe too loyal. It was inevitable. Working for Tod Gordon and THE ARENA... And slowly watching our crowds grow. How could you not be loyal? Was it a detrement to some of us? Maybe. Some have been able to prove that they are more, while others are seen as "too PWU." For every one bad talent, there was a fresh new star coming into their own. We all learned together, and we truly did band together. If given another chance, I could name 5-10 others that can join to the level of our friends: Devon Moore, TJ Cannon, and Bruce Maxwell.

Can PWU ever return? No... For all the good that did come out of it, it seemed to constantly be overshadowed by negativity. But the people from that place could most definitely build a strong locker room.

I know there are some out there who will say... "Dan, how can you talk so much good about that place?" Its easy, I was there and it was fun... Which really what its all about. "Wouldn't you want to go back and never work for them?" Absolutely not. As I am sure label with the stigma of PWU, I wouldn't change a thing. I got my start there, I learned there, and I made lifelong friendships there. "But, Dan, what if you never shake the stigma?" Oh well... I achieved more than I ever dreamed in this crazy world of wrestling. I'll carry that stigma like a battle scar, and just go to prove myself for the rest of the world, just like I know all my friends in PWU are doing right now.

Since this is probably the last time I talk about my PWU past until my shoot interview and biography come out... Haha... I want to shout out to those people... Jake Black, Nate Stein, Pete Hunter, John House, Teddy Fine, Aramis, Chris Ansert, Phil Boucher, Devon Moore, Drew Blood, TJ Cannon, Bruce Maxwell, Annie Social, Amy Lee, Kidd Legend, Detox, Mike Kehner, John Finnegan, Adam Flash, Stephanie Flash, Luke Hawx, Too Cold Scorpio, John McChesney, Erik C. Jones (Eek!), The BackSeat Boyz, Gary Wolf, All Money Is Legal, Dr. Don Bootz and of course... Tod Gordon. All of these people are truly great people, I know I may have missed some... And I'm sure some people may not a agree. But again these are the people that truly great people. And I know they all will work their asses off to make any promotion great!

I think its safe to say that chapter is now closed. And now I'm more motivated than ever to make those people proud.

Until next time...
You stay classy!
Dan "The Phan"

No comments:

Post a Comment