Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Can't We All Just Get Along?

So I could help but read on DOI this past weekend about what seems to be by all accounts one disaster of a show and crazy "side shows" at two events. I'm not here to bash companies or people... Really I never am. I don't ever want people to get the wrong idea. ANYWAY... It brings me to my title... Why can't we all just get along?

I mean really. In this economy combined with the fact that wrestling isn't exactly at its peak, you would think the wrestling universe, at least on the independent level would unite or at least be cordial to each other. To me it seems lately that people want to make DOI's Headlines on Monday morning. This is no offense to DOI, but of course they will post the crazy stories! What else is there to post? It seems to be a rarity that we get on DOI or other such websites, "Five Star Show on Friday Night in (INSERT CITY HERE)." Rather we get "(Insert Name Here) causes a commotion in (Insert Promotion)'s locker room." And for day or even weeks we get wars of words. I can't blame DOI for putting the news up, it is entertaining to read even if you don't know the people involved. But its just a sad state when that's what we see more making the headlines.

To hear that this guy or this group of guys "invades" another show... Its really sad. What is there to gain? And I'm not talking about well planned invasions (example: CZW versus ROH)... I'm talking about people just buying up tickets to crap on another show. To hear that local police had to come in... For what? Granted, I agree with the saying "Any press is good press." But at what cost? The way I see it... If local police has to be called into a venue, will that venue bring ANY wrestling company back? I know how hard it is to find venues to host wrestling. Wrestling has been hurting since the Attitude days already... No one wants a "hardcore" show in their building. And when there are good companies out there who want to expand but can't because of nonsense... For what?

On top of that... When you have unorganized companies/promoters trying to plan events as well. That also kills venue's charity to allow wrestling in their building. And I know all to well about unorganized companies/promoters! (I allowed myself to get fooled one too many times)

Again I'm just giving my opinions from afar. There are a lot of great companies out their that know how to do business... You've got your CZWs, Chikaras, NWSs, WSUs, etc. Just looking at those 4 names right there, all of the companies have regularly scheduled events, you RARELY hear about backstage nonsense, and they don't step on others toes... In fact they work with other area companies quite diplomatically. All I'm really saying is that we need to watch our steps more closely so that we can blosom again.

I'm sure you're saying... But, Dan, weren't you preaching death to CZW when you were with PWU? I wouldn't go that far... HAHA... But in all seriousness, I'll admit that I did have a pride for PWU and I'm sure from time to time I probably talked bad about CZW or some other promotion. But I think I've matured much over my time in this crazy wrestling world. And looking at things now, I realize that you can be competitive... HELL, you HAVE to be competive... But there is a line that you can't cross. Did I cross that line from time to time? I hope I didn't, but I'm sure I did... But we all make mistakes, and all we can ask for is to learn from them. And right now, we all need to learn as a wrestling world from our mistakes.

Okay... I'm off my soapbox. Haha... Catch me this Saturday at WXW-C4's "Go For The Gold" at the Mountainville Memorial Hall in Allentown, PA at 7 PM more info at WXWC4.com. I'm also going to be heading out with Completely Damaged TV (http://www.myspace.com/completelydamaged) on Sunday for their taping at WrestleFest in Fairless Hills, PA. And of course you can keep up with me or get in touch with me at my MySpace, MySpace.com/ThePhan11.

Well... Until next time... You stay classy!
Dan "The Phan"

No comments:

Post a Comment