Monday, January 25, 2010

Raw.0

This time I'm hear to make a suggestion to WWE. For the last year I've pretty much sat back and made my decision whether WWE's Guest Host choices were good or bad. Most have been just ok, there were a few great ones and a few bad ones. If anything, I've been more surprised by how the Guest Hosts have turned out. If anything that is what has kept me tuning in just for the slight chance of something great like Tyson/Austin from the 90s. Anyway, I've been surprised with who has turned out great and bad... Some of the great ones that come to mind have been Bob Barker and Shaq... While I think the surprisingly bad one was Dennis Miller. Why was I surprised? Mainly because as a stand-up comedian who deals with a live audience as much as a wrestler I thought he would translate comfortably into WWE. But he didn't... Although maybe I shouldn't be too surprised as I can remember in college watching Letterman, Conan, and Daily Show one week and each night he was on one of those shows doing the exact same bit. But in the end I was very disappointed and the usual quick witted Miller fell flat on the Slammy Award Edition to Raw.

I start to write this on Monday night, but I got distracted... But during the week I saw that WWE was rumored to be trying to court Conan O'Brien to host an upcoming edition of Raw. Now I would definitely enjoy that... I doubt it will happen though. One main reason is that WWE is on NBC Universal TV... I don't think that will help getting a good timeslot in the future for Saturday Night Main Event.

Anyway... I have a suggestion for Guest Host... Daniel Tosh. For those who don't know who he is... Tosh is a stand-up comedian who now hosts a show on Comedy Central (Tosh.0) that pokes fun at Viral Videos a la The Soup on E! Tosh had a slow start on Comedy Central, questioning whether it would still be on the air the next week, but slowly started to build his show up and became one of their featured shows. And after finding some old YouTube clips he is slowly becoming more and more comfortable in his stand up finding his on niche. I've seen clips with him dealing with people on the street and he connects with them very well. He understands the world now. He doesn't really touch political humor (which in my opinion is a huge plus as most go straight for the Bush jokes). There is even a clip out there where he pretty much butchers (in a fun way) two fans in the front row (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_9PYNreJ4). And after getting into Tosh later into his show's run I'm a huge fan. In my opinion, Tosh is going to be a huge start VERY VERY soon. And WWE should snatch his services up VERY fast before they lose the chance. Why? The number one reason, he's a wrestling fan! I haven't seen one episode of Tosh.0 that does include a wrestling joke. His second appearance on Letterman in 2002 he joked about it. Basically he's been loyal to this for his whole career. And really, I think most of our complaints to the guest host gimmick has been... THEY DON'T KNOW WRESTLING. So the combination of some of the bad picks (i.e. Dennis Miller) and the fact they don't know the product has really soured our taste for the gimmick. Daniel Tosh... Is ready made for Raw. He speaks to the generation WWE is trying to market to... Kids. I know I was surprised to! There was an episode I watched on demand where he showed his "Fan Challenge" videos and 9 out of 10 videos shown were from middle school kids! He knows how to mix that adult humor without alienating the kids somehow.

I know it sounds like I now work for Comedy Central or Daniel Tosh himself. But I am just a fan of him and believe he would be a fantastic pick as a Guest Host, and most likely one of the last Guest Hosts as it seems like that gimmick is nearing its end. And I really think WWE is looking for that crossover star, and Tosh could be it. And whats nice... He, unlike many entertainers right now, knows how to use Twitter and other social networking sites to his advantage. So WWE... Bring in Daniel Tosh and you won't be disappointed!

In other news... Check out WSUWrestling.com as I have updated the site with TONS of news for their upcoming 3rd Anniversary event. And also check out HybridENT.TV as my newest venture can be found there... "Pro Wrestling Headlines NOW!" It's a work in progress I know. But I should have a new episode up each week hopefully on Monday or Tuesdays.

That's all for now... So until next time... Stay classy.
Dan "The Phan"
http://twitter.com/ThePhan11
http://www.myspace.com/ThePhan11

No comments:

Post a Comment